All cryptocurrency transactions are irreversible, non-refundable and near-untraceable. A QR Code of a cryptocurrency wallet address such as Bitcoin is not linked to a personal identity or geographic location - online or offline. Therefore, all Localcoin transactions are final and non-refundable [see Localcoin's Terms of Service §2 & 3].
Firstly, we recommend you take the following actions as soon as possible:
- Report the scam to your local police station. This will require you to fill in a police report. We have provided transaction information below to assist you with that.
- Report your incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC), see how on their website here.
- If you gave out your Social Insurance Number, you should report the theft of your SIN by contacting Service Canada at 1-866-274-6627. For more information, see the Social Insurance Number web page.
- If you sent (non-cryptocurrency) money or shared financial information, report it to the financial institution used (ie. your bank, Western Union, MoneyGram, Equifax and/or TransUnion).
- If applicable - Notify the gaming site, dating site, job site, or social media site where you first encountered the third party to inform them of a fraudulent member.
Next, please contact our Support Team and include:
- A written statement containing a detailed description of what happened to you (who contacted you, what did they say, what were you asked to do, etc.);
- A reference to your transaction. Ideally the Transaction ID is the easiest way to locate your transaction which is found on the receipt. If you do not have this, please provide a description of the date, time, location, and amount of the transaction.
- Any screenshots of the individual(s) who contacted you. This can be a screenshot of the text messages they sent you or conversations via email.
We will contact you with any follow up questions we may have regarding this situation.
For more information on what to if you are a victim, follow this link to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Center's guide on what to do if you are a scam victim.